Sunday, February 21, 2010

Regrets: Charging Necessities

Regret #2: Charging Necessities

I learned a hard lesson after the too-big house. My husband had gotten laid off. At the time he was in charge of all our money and I wasn't really aware of our money situation. I thought we were doing fine and getting by.

We'd go out to eat or buy something new for the house. We weren't going out as often or buying as much, but we weren't cutting those things out entirely.

Turns out hubby was paying for necessities on his credit card.

Here's the thing... money is money is money. If you're eating out and need to pay your electric bill on the credit card, that doesn't make it okay. It's not okay to pay something with credit just because it's a necessity. We might as well have paid our bills with his unemployment and my paycheck and then charged all the fun stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment