Monday, February 15, 2010

Looking Around

I realize that I'm jumping the gun by making my list (and checking it twice) but I want to have an idea of our possessions before I have to fill out the official paperwork.

I've listed some things singly and others by grouping. I didn't list "Spatula #1" and "Spatula #2--plastic wide" but I did list some furniture separately.

My list is mostly complete. I've left off some of the things in boxes that I don't recall the contents of, but I have plenty of time to figure those out.

I'm only allowed $1000 under Florida Bankruptcy Law and I'm over that. Some things I don't mind losing at all. But others... how do I determine what's mine and what's my husband's? A question for the lawyer we pick, I realize, but it's on my mind now.

So far I'm staring at the list in a bit of shock. How is it possible for us to have almost $30,000 in credit card debt and have nothing nice to show for it?

How can was be paying $600 a month towards things we've already bought? That's three car payments! And I don't have anything nearly as nice as one car, let alone three, laying around.

Damn. It's so easy in the moment. So easy to say, "well, let's go ahead and get this. We'll pay it off when (fill in the blank)."

And when emergencies happen, and we're stretched so tight, there's no choice but to put the car repairs or emergency doctor's visit on the card.

It's been a long time since we've charged anything (car repairs over the summer, prior to that it had been at least six months if not longer) and I'm proud of us for that. But sad, really sad, too.

I've put my family in financial chains and have nothing to show for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment