Friday, May 9, 2008

My Husband and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (PART 1)

The warning light for the airbag system turned on in hubby's Tuesday. I've talked to five different people--all who know things about cars--and I've gotten some conflicting advice... even from the same person!  

The Tool at the local dealership (the same one, by the way, that missed a cracked axle in three visits which our non-dealership mechanic found on the first visit!) told me that we needed to make an appointment immediately. The airbag "could go off" if we hit a pothole or the curb. It might even go off randomly. And, he added, since it's a 1995 car the "airbag isn't nice and soft like the ones they have today; it's like burlap and will cut your husband's face up".

Yes, he really said that.

Hubby took this as an opportunity to call said service manager and chew him out. The "cut your face up" comment was incredibly inappropriate. Anyway, the same service manager gave us two other answers including that the airbag is disabled and shouldn't deploy. *sighs*

Four other people all said the same thing. 1) The airbag shouldn't deploy. 2) But since it's a Ford, you never know.


Needless to say, he's a little nervous about driving his car!

(More on the issue later.)

Hubby woke up and told me he was taking his bike to work. No problem; it was a nice day outside. (For Florida nice day = "no hurricane heading our way, clear skies, and a slight wind so that 100 degrees only feels like 97.") I got the kid and had time to walk her into the nursery, open her diaper, and start cleaning her bum before the garage door went up again.

"What's up, love?"

"My bike... is broken."

At that point I had to crack up. It really sucked but both of us have gained a lot of perspective since our daughter was born. It was just a thing. (A thing that can be fixed for little money.) I had him finish snapping her onsie and put her in the car seat while I threw on some clothes and brushed my hair and teeth.

Off we went to his office. He wasn't even late. In fact, he was the first one to arrive.

He put the key in the lock and found out that his boss had given him the wrong one!

At that point I had pulled out of my parking space and was alongside the curb to the entryway of the office. I reparked the car, rolled down the windows, and waited with him until his coworker showed up.

That's how the day started. Luckily, thankfully, the rest of it was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment